J.A.Corney Ltd

Est.  1947

Billingsgate Market was for centuries the worlds greatest fish market. It was also one of London's most historic trading sites.   Known  to Londoner's for the pervasive smell of fish and the colorful language of its porters; renowned in the trade for its dependability and the unrivaled    variety of its wares, the market vacated its ancient premises and transferred    to new buildings on the Isle of    Dogs in 1982. Having struggled with  road congestion for over a century, with suppliers' lorries and customers' vans adding    to the early morning chaos, the upgrading of Lower Thames Street to a fast dual carriage way finally made trade impossible at Billingsgate.

Three generations of Corney's have walked the floors of Billingsgate, old and new. Without Billingsgate  to allow us to make our 3 am daily visits we wouldn't be able to do what we do best and we are forever   grateful to all the stall holders and especially all the porters to get the best produce possible to our shops daily.

Here are some pictures from the good old days of Billingsgate Market.